Size of Robot

Go down

ramp limits robot "airspace" when up at start

Post  Team Shadowed Craters on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:20 am

We've noticed you can't really utilize all of the A4 virtual box because at the start when the ramp is up, it actually leans over the "airspace". If your robot fully occupied the A4 virtual box, the ramp would not rest in the up position.

So the allowable space seems to be somewhat smaller unless the robot is allowed to start partly off the back edge somehow. Is that permissible?

Team Shadowed Craters

Back to top Go down

Re: Size of Robot

Post  ARES on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Ah, thank you.

ARES

Back to top Go down

Re: Size of robot

Post  OABB 4-H Lego Robots on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:33 pm

The FAQ on the MoonBots site says the robot must fit in a virtual box at the start of the mission, that is the size of an A4 piece of paper, but it can be as tall as you want. It can expand after the mission starts.
OABB 4-H Lego Robots

http://sites.google.com/site/oabb4hlegorobot/home

Back to top Go down

Post  ARES on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Does anybody know exactly what they mean by ground footprint? Our team's a bit split over it -- is it the area the robot takes up, looked at from above, or the area contained within the robot's literal footprint (ie: between the wheels or whatever else touches the ground)? We mainly think it's the former, but as size limitations are such a considerable issue, we'd like to be certain.

ARES

Back to top Go down

A4 paper

Post  Pete223 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Boy, I feel dumb. I never thought about measuring the paper. The 297 x 210 is the official ISO A4 size. Why is the paper smaller? That size will make the robot hang over even more.
Pete223

http://www.yellowjackets.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Intergalactic Bacon on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Pete223 wrote: I assume that the sheet we received with the big, blue X is the official size A4 sheet, right?

I assumed the same thing; however, the rules say the robot should be 297 x 210 mm, but our measurements show that the paper with the X is only 292 x 205. Usually, it wouldn't be a big deal, but when size limitations are a considerable issue . . .

Intergalactic Bacon

Back to top Go down

Size of Robot

Post  Pete223 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:40 pm

How are we to interpret the size of the robot? If we make the robot the length of the A4 paper it is longer than the base and either hangs off the back or pushes on the ramp. Is this OK? Also, I assume that the sheet we received with the big, blue X is the official size A4 sheet, right?

-Pete 223
Pete223

http://www.yellowjackets.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum